Winterproofing pt 3: ‘double glazing’

This is the third and final post in the winter proofing series. The first two focused on the bus roof. This time we shift the focus back into the bus and look at our attempt at ‘double glazing’ the windows. The photos below are mixture of the process but give an idea of what we did. In reality we added some plastic to the windows. A side not when we check out the block in 2015 the previous owners mentioned covering the windows with bubble wrap in winter.

For aesthetic reasons we chose a slightly different option instead purchasing some heat shrink plastic through a company in Melbourne. A more expensive option then bubble wrap but worth it we feel. And to be honest not that expensive. All up the double sided tape and plastic for all 13 windows of the bus cost us around $250.

IMG_4923

Deirdre attaching the double sided tape around the back window.

 

IMG_4888

Cutting back the window to size. You will notice that on the aluminium window edge is a rubber tubing. Our rationale for this being that the rubber will insulate the window frame and stop any cold air and condensation building up between the window and the double glazing.

IMG_4924

The front window after being blow dried. 

 

IMG_4926

Looking out of the lounge window. 

So that’s a quick photo overview of the process. Of all the windows on the bus the front was the hardest to do as these had no real window sill. Therefore there was less room to creating the insulation and air gap that is needed to double glaze. The windows probably could be pretty and it’ll be interesting to see how it handles the middle of winter but so far we haven’t had to wipe down the windows much and we’ve yet to have any mould. Hopefully it stays that way.

Advertisements

Winter proofing the bus Pt 2: the roof.

Winter proofing pt 2: THE ROOF

IMG_4912

The bare frame.

So it’s the second of the post on winter proofing the bus. This time the focus is on the roof. The host so to speak for the bus. As alluded to in the previous post we had spent the months of February and March getting the frame ready for the roof. In our usual way we have managed to miss documenting the whole process and so you will have to contend with the above photo of the completed frame. Don’t worry we were better documenting the next stages so you can see a step by step process of our the roof was constructed.

DAY 1

IMG_4914

First pieces of sarking are up and the roofing tin is ready to lift up.

The purpose of the roof was two fold. First it would add extra protection to stop the odd leak we were getting last winter. Second, and more importantly, it was a cover for the insulation that would hopefully create a barrier between the cold external frame and the warm interior of the bus. This would eliminate the condensation on the roof and frame and hopefully eliminate the mould and mildew we experienced last winter.

To achieve this the plan was simple. Layer the top of the bus with Earth Wool Batts, cover  it with sarking and add the roofing tin over it to protect it all. The most difficult aspect of it all being that we had to do it section by section has we couldn’t stand onto of the insulation to add the tin.

IMG_4917

Screwing down the first of the pieces of tin.

With Deirdre on the ground and myself on the roof  we had a system in place. The insulation would be cut to length on the ground and then passed up to me. I would roll it out and then I would cut and staple down the sarking before Deirdre passed the tin up to me. I would lay out the tin and when we were happy that it lined up with the other pieces then it would be screwed down in the corners.

This process was then repeated with the next section. As with all systems it took a while to get the processes in place but by It took a while to get going but once the system was down we were able to make good progress and by the end of the first day (Good Friday) we had 4 sheets up and a third of the roof completed.

IMG_4915

The roof at the end of day 1. A third of the way, more to go.

DAY 2

Easter Saturday. We woke and got started early. The aim was to get the rest of the roof up today. We followed the same process as outlined above except the tin didn’t line up how we wanted and a good hour was spent trying to line it up perfect. (A difficult task when shortcuts have been taking with your roofing battens and they are not on straight.) Eventually we settled for near enough is good enough.

IMG_4918

Lunchtime day 2. Trying to lay the shorter pieces out. A trickier task then need be when your perfectionist streak kicks in!

 

Once that decision had been made the roofing flowed fairly quickly and we were both delighted to find that the allowance we had made for our solar powered kitchen fan (see photo below) worked easily.

IMG_4920

Creating an opening in the roofing to allow sun to get to our solar kitchen fan.

All of which meant by mid afternoon the tin was up and it was time to go back and fill in the gaps with the roofing task. A task that was completed by early evening. Leaving us the rest of the weekend to turn our focus towards the final winter proofing task: ‘double glazing’ the windows.

IMG_4922

The view from the house pad with the roof all up and ready for the last little bit of screwing to occur.