Winter proofing pt 2: THE ROOF
So it’s the second of the post on winter proofing the bus. This time the focus is on the roof. The host so to speak for the bus. As alluded to in the previous post we had spent the months of February and March getting the frame ready for the roof. In our usual way we have managed to miss documenting the whole process and so you will have to contend with the above photo of the completed frame. Don’t worry we were better documenting the next stages so you can see a step by step process of our the roof was constructed.
The purpose of the roof was two fold. First it would add extra protection to stop the odd leak we were getting last winter. Second, and more importantly, it was a cover for the insulation that would hopefully create a barrier between the cold external frame and the warm interior of the bus. This would eliminate the condensation on the roof and frame and hopefully eliminate the mould and mildew we experienced last winter.
To achieve this the plan was simple. Layer the top of the bus with Earth Wool Batts, cover it with sarking and add the roofing tin over it to protect it all. The most difficult aspect of it all being that we had to do it section by section has we couldn’t stand onto of the insulation to add the tin.
With Deirdre on the ground and myself on the roof we had a system in place. The insulation would be cut to length on the ground and then passed up to me. I would roll it out and then I would cut and staple down the sarking before Deirdre passed the tin up to me. I would lay out the tin and when we were happy that it lined up with the other pieces then it would be screwed down in the corners.
This process was then repeated with the next section. As with all systems it took a while to get the processes in place but by It took a while to get going but once the system was down we were able to make good progress and by the end of the first day (Good Friday) we had 4 sheets up and a third of the roof completed.
Easter Saturday. We woke and got started early. The aim was to get the rest of the roof up today. We followed the same process as outlined above except the tin didn’t line up how we wanted and a good hour was spent trying to line it up perfect. (A difficult task when shortcuts have been taking with your roofing battens and they are not on straight.) Eventually we settled for near enough is good enough.
Once that decision had been made the roofing flowed fairly quickly and we were both delighted to find that the allowance we had made for our solar powered kitchen fan (see photo below) worked easily.
All of which meant by mid afternoon the tin was up and it was time to go back and fill in the gaps with the roofing task. A task that was completed by early evening. Leaving us the rest of the weekend to turn our focus towards the final winter proofing task: ‘double glazing’ the windows.