It’s been a while between post. A warmer start to winter has meant more time outside working in the garden. This is great for progress (and our general health) but has me feeling a little guilt about neglecting this online patch. With the colder weather having arrived this week (and a couple of big projects completed/underway) my mind has shifted back to the blog. So here’s the first of a few posts over the next week or so. This ones a shorter one on our first water storage set up. Enjoy!
It’s strange to say it but the hardest part of our studio tank was working out what to use. For weeks over summer and autumn we ummmmed and ahhhed about what we should do. Should we buy one new at 500-1000 per tank? Buy a old one? Set up a series of drums? Through our research we had found a guy in town who sold a IBC (1000l water cube.) This seemed the option but was difficult to get out to our block.
We then remembered that we new a guy who worked at the local cidery. We asked him if they had any old ones and later on that week a ute was driving up the driveway with an old IBC that was about to be thrown out (Thanks R!). We lifted up the ute and walked it around the back of the studio were it sat for a week or two whilst we worked out the tank stand design.
As you can see from above we went with that versatile diy building material known as a pallet for our stand. Two of them in fact. Side by side. This left of with ample room to store our watering cans and connect our hose come summer when the studio retaining wall garden is cranking.
The tank in place it was then time for guttering the guttering. First point of call: a clean to ensure good flow. Over the course of the morning one and then both of us clambered up onto the roof and after cleaning the sticks and whatnot installed a gutter guard to filter the debris that falls.
The gutter guard installed we then moved onto the downpipes. This was fiddly work. For all the skills we have learnt we still have yet to perfect cutting a downpipes evenly. We always end up with one side longer then the other. Normally this is not to big a deal as the pipe just goes straight. This time it was different. As the photo shows we needed the guttering to go down, around the corner, across the back wall and the shot out to the tank inlet.
Multiple parts; multiple cuts. Multiple mistakes; multiple rivets. Eventually we managed to get a few sections together and small chunks at a time we attached the downpipes together and by the end of the afternoon we had a downpipe and tank complete. The only thing left then was for it to rain and we could see how good our systems was.
Three weeks later it did and we finally had ourselves a working tank. Our first water storage was complete and we slowly getting ready for a potentially dry summer.